March 21, 2012
nugget (n.)
So lately, with this cleanse I was on, I've become mildly addicted to baby carrots. As I was sitting at work yesterday, munching away, I came across this:
A nugget, is what one coworker referred to it as. I instantly thought of tater tots and timbits (yes, all yummy carb-loaded foods, hinting at my junk-depraved, detoxed self!)
In either case, it got me thinking about nuggets - not deep-fried, chicken or gold. I'm talking nuggets of time, the nuggets in our lives - those tiny moments and aspects of our everyday that can really add up to quite a bit more than they seem. (The nugget was fun to eat, that's for sure.)
Sometimes, like many of us, we can fall into habit, working the 9 to 5, going through the motions of the everyday routine, that we grow accustomed to it and forget to be grateful for the little things that make up that time. The day is filled (or can be filled) with real nuggets that can knock a boring perspective out and bring in a fresher one. It's really easy to get a case of the it's-greener-on-the-other-side after getting used to something, however great.
I'm finally nearing the end of the school semester.. and will soon be entering the "work zone". The year will no longer end in May and start in September. And when that fine day comes at the end of April, when I submit my thesis and all the grades for the courses I'm TAing for, I'll be starting full-time work. Before that happens, I want to indulge in the joys of my varied schedule and my 4-day week. But I also want to reflect on all the great things I'm looking forward to when I start working for a salary. I'm doing this, lest I forget 6 months from now, how excited I am for my change of pace.
Before novelty becomes habit, I want to make sure I will always remember to take a sweet little bite out of the nuggets that make up my life, regardless of what time I'm waking up, how much money I'm making, how late into the night I'm working to make a deadline, etc.
So, there you have it folks: my nugget list*
* This definitely is an incomplete list...an exercise to recognize the beautiful things in my life, of which there are more I'm sure...
And just before I sign off, a couple more weird pictures of my deformed carrot friend:
A nugget, is what one coworker referred to it as. I instantly thought of tater tots and timbits (yes, all yummy carb-loaded foods, hinting at my junk-depraved, detoxed self!)
In either case, it got me thinking about nuggets - not deep-fried, chicken or gold. I'm talking nuggets of time, the nuggets in our lives - those tiny moments and aspects of our everyday that can really add up to quite a bit more than they seem. (The nugget was fun to eat, that's for sure.)
Sometimes, like many of us, we can fall into habit, working the 9 to 5, going through the motions of the everyday routine, that we grow accustomed to it and forget to be grateful for the little things that make up that time. The day is filled (or can be filled) with real nuggets that can knock a boring perspective out and bring in a fresher one. It's really easy to get a case of the it's-greener-on-the-other-side after getting used to something, however great.
I'm finally nearing the end of the school semester.. and will soon be entering the "work zone". The year will no longer end in May and start in September. And when that fine day comes at the end of April, when I submit my thesis and all the grades for the courses I'm TAing for, I'll be starting full-time work. Before that happens, I want to indulge in the joys of my varied schedule and my 4-day week. But I also want to reflect on all the great things I'm looking forward to when I start working for a salary. I'm doing this, lest I forget 6 months from now, how excited I am for my change of pace.
Before novelty becomes habit, I want to make sure I will always remember to take a sweet little bite out of the nuggets that make up my life, regardless of what time I'm waking up, how much money I'm making, how late into the night I'm working to make a deadline, etc.
So, there you have it folks: my nugget list*
- The feeling I get in shavasana after sweating it out in yoga class, my body hot, tired and oh so happy.
It's naturally sweet! - Walking home from work on a Friday evening in late spring, looking forward to the dinner plans I have.
- The taste of that first Americano after a two-week cleanse...or just in general :)
- Laying in the sun in the summer on a weekday, because the day is just so long.
- Getting together with my lady friends and laughing my butt off with them as we drink wine and eat sushi or hot pot or cake or...
- Sitting down at the Naam or some equally yummy establishment with my ma after a long Saturday morning walk.
- The feeling of the warm wind in my face while rollerblading with Ben around the seawall.
- The smell of Bengal spice tea while I catch up on my favourite shows late into the night, exhausted after a yoga class.
- Morning cuddles when you don't have to get up. Even if it's by yourself wrapped in a comfy duvet :)
- The smell of baking at home during the holidays and eating all the extra batter off the bowls with my mom.
- Finding a really great piece of clothing, on a massive sale, andbuying it within minutes without fuss.
- That first sip of beer in the village after a long day ofsnowboarding where I'm still warm and tired.. followed by a greasy beef burger and fries.
- The feeling I get when I read something I've written and I actually really like it.
Always get the poppy-seed dressing, though. - The dinner portion of random date nights with Ben that we don't really plan, where we just wind up hopping between places to have drinks/appies/dinner/dessert to drag out our meal.
- Boarding a plane.
- Watching the geese at Granville Island after not having been there for a long time.
- The moment I look up from my work and out the window of my favourite coffee shop. [Bojangles, Brioche...]
- Feeling how sweaty my pants are (lol) after a super night of dancing where I hit the right buzz the whole night and came home sober.
- The moment we hit the highway to start off a road trip.
- The smell of a salty sunscreen-y bathing suit.
- Putting lotion on my skin after a long day at the beach.
- Being out on the town after a very productive day.
It sure is beautiful - Waking up to the smell of crepes in the morning.
- Finding a letter or postcard in the mail.
- Picking up drinks on my way to watching the hockey game at a friend's place - and realizing it's still light out.
| Bojangles cafe |
* This definitely is an incomplete list...an exercise to recognize the beautiful things in my life, of which there are more I'm sure...
And just before I sign off, a couple more weird pictures of my deformed carrot friend:
Labels:
advice,
food,
health,
philosophy,
yoga
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment