February 2, 2011
quoth (n.)
Yup.
Sounds like: a wet cough somehow escaping through your nostrils.
It also is an archaic simple past tense version of "quethe" which sounds like: a wet sneeze that somehow escaped through your eye sockets.
The reason this is my word today - apart from wanting to be kind of Murakami-ish - is that my mind's been very occupied with a paper and seminar presentation I've been preparing for my tech class on copyright.
Some keywords spinning through my head recently:
digital locks, creative commons, social restrictions, unregulated use, Lawrence Lessig, Bill Gates, "quoting", fair dealing, DRM, Bill C-32, copying, sharing, expression, creativity, free culture, remixing, Google, attribution, derivative works, creator, user, YouTube, Share-Alike, commercial use, blogging, published, registry, provisions, technology, distribution, interpretation...
These come up in no particular order (though I hope they show up in some meaningful nature in the paper) and are concepts that really cannot be given the proper attention in 1500 words and a batch of slides on WordPress.
However, to give myself some perspective and help myself embrace the fact that it's not up to me to figure out the solution to current issues surrounding copyright law in Canada.....I've employed some Photoshop skillz and devised a few cartoons I consider to be funny - and I hope you'll giggle a bit, too.
Enjoy.
A short summary of copyright law:
Have a good weekend,
- Vish
Sounds like: a wet cough somehow escaping through your nostrils.
It also is an archaic simple past tense version of "quethe" which sounds like: a wet sneeze that somehow escaped through your eye sockets.
The reason this is my word today - apart from wanting to be kind of Murakami-ish - is that my mind's been very occupied with a paper and seminar presentation I've been preparing for my tech class on copyright.
Some keywords spinning through my head recently:
digital locks, creative commons, social restrictions, unregulated use, Lawrence Lessig, Bill Gates, "quoting", fair dealing, DRM, Bill C-32, copying, sharing, expression, creativity, free culture, remixing, Google, attribution, derivative works, creator, user, YouTube, Share-Alike, commercial use, blogging, published, registry, provisions, technology, distribution, interpretation...
These come up in no particular order (though I hope they show up in some meaningful nature in the paper) and are concepts that really cannot be given the proper attention in 1500 words and a batch of slides on WordPress.
However, to give myself some perspective and help myself embrace the fact that it's not up to me to figure out the solution to current issues surrounding copyright law in Canada.....I've employed some Photoshop skillz and devised a few cartoons I consider to be funny - and I hope you'll giggle a bit, too.
Enjoy.
A short summary of copyright law:
![]() |
| Law of Anne, 1710. |
![]() |
| No such thing as unregulated uses? |
![]() |
| Length of copyright terms: creator's life + 50 years! |
| "Google, google, toil and trouble..." The new Disney? |
Have a good weekend,
- Vish
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment