March 2, 2011
challenge (n.)
Yesterday, I started a 30-day yoga challenge at my favourite Yoga studio in Vancouver: YYoga in Yaletown. While I'm definitely tooting the studio's horn - and I really genuinely want people to come out and try it - this month, I initially felt a little bit differently about spreading word about "my" little secret hideaway on Homer.
But, I've changed my mind! To infinity, and beyond!
I've had an unlimited yoga pass at the studio since September, going about 3-5 times a week.
"My kind" of classes are hot and power classes.
I like breaking a sweat rather than delving so deeply into yin stretches that I fall asleep; anusara also doesn't always do it for me because it asks my heart to be active more than my mind - and the reason I started yoga was to stabilize my though process, ease my nerves and stress, and wield the physical that controls my life. (Of course, after 30 days of yoga, I may start to feel differently.)
Anyway- I digress.
.
March happens to be a "challenge" month at YYoga; the challenge is to go to 30 yoga classes in 30 days. While I'm always up for a challenge, I initially had a couple of anti-yogic thoughts that threw me out of zen (I threw myself back in eventually):
.
1. Is yoga an errand that I must do daily to "succeed"? I like to feel it's part of my lifestyle, rather than a list of 30 boxes that I must check off to feel I've accomplished something to prove I didn't let myself down. The whole point of yoga is that it is not a quantifiable competition - and not really even with yourself. It's a way of being with, and in, and within yourself, on a daily basis - yes; but, on and off the mat.
.
and
.
After having these ineffective thoughts about what I feel is kind of marketing ploy to increase membership - I thought: so what if it is!
I'm thinking about it wro ng.I'm thinking about it wrong.
People should join yoga - and the more the merrier. The group energy is wonderful. You meet people who are doing the challenge too, and you support each other along the way as you start to feel like a sore, flexy, yoga robot, dragging your mat around with you, instantly aware of when your feet go wider than hip-distance (even while brushing your teeth...naw).
Showing up (in class and in life!) is always a challenge, and to submit to a consistent practice has its benefits: You get the opportunity to show up to class despite what your mind tells you. You also get to knock your body into shape - and eventually your mind follows too.
If yoga has taught me anything, it's that the attitude you bring to the mat ("and beyond!") trumps everything else. Understanding that may be the biggest challenge of all.
So, here I go, Day 1 behind me, looking forward to the next 29, starting with today (everyday) - come hell or high water.
But, I've changed my mind! To infinity, and beyond!
I've had an unlimited yoga pass at the studio since September, going about 3-5 times a week.
"My kind" of classes are hot and power classes.
I like breaking a sweat rather than delving so deeply into yin stretches that I fall asleep; anusara also doesn't always do it for me because it asks my heart to be active more than my mind - and the reason I started yoga was to stabilize my though process, ease my nerves and stress, and wield the physical that controls my life. (Of course, after 30 days of yoga, I may start to feel differently.)
Anyway- I digress.
.
| low lunge |
.
1. Is yoga an errand that I must do daily to "succeed"? I like to feel it's part of my lifestyle, rather than a list of 30 boxes that I must check off to feel I've accomplished something to prove I didn't let myself down. The whole point of yoga is that it is not a quantifiable competition - and not really even with yourself. It's a way of being with, and in, and within yourself, on a daily basis - yes; but, on and off the mat.
.
| warrior 1 |
.
2. The studio gets so damn busy. Everyone takes advantage of the deal and before you know it, March means that changing-rooms get super crowded; you have to dash to find a hook for your jacket, show up extra early to snag your third-favourite spot, and start to notice some people totally getting into a frenzy about landing an early shower slot so they can go home earlier than everyone else. Totally not in yoga spirit, and not the best energy to be around..
After having these ineffective thoughts about what I feel is kind of marketing ploy to increase membership - I thought: so what if it is!
I'm thinking about it wro ng.I'm thinking about it wrong.
People should join yoga - and the more the merrier. The group energy is wonderful. You meet people who are doing the challenge too, and you support each other along the way as you start to feel like a sore, flexy, yoga robot, dragging your mat around with you, instantly aware of when your feet go wider than hip-distance (even while brushing your teeth...naw).
| mountain pose. |
Showing up (in class and in life!) is always a challenge, and to submit to a consistent practice has its benefits: You get the opportunity to show up to class despite what your mind tells you. You also get to knock your body into shape - and eventually your mind follows too.
If yoga has taught me anything, it's that the attitude you bring to the mat ("and beyond!") trumps everything else. Understanding that may be the biggest challenge of all.
So, here I go, Day 1 behind me, looking forward to the next 29, starting with today (everyday) - come hell or high water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment