May 23, 2011
count off (n.)
It's been a while since I wrote anything - seeing I moved my butt across the country for an exciting opportunity to work at Reader's Digest Canada for the summer, you think it would've been sooner that I'd feel I needed to let it allll outttt!!
I haven't had a moment to even reflect on all that's happened in the last 2 weeks - however, now that I have a long weekend, I can get started (and hopefully finished).
To avoid this turning into a long Vish Ramble, I will also (in Vish-like manner) proceed with a list.
Alliteratively and alphabetically (feels so good).
I imagine this will give you all an idea of what my life in Montreal (mon-ray-all) has been like since I got here a couple of weeks ago :) Of course, there's parts missing, but I've tried to piece it together....
E

Evening runs and walks :)
Eden grocery has all the lovely specialties I encountered in Vancouver all in one spot: vegetable gyozas, Bengal spice tea, fortune cookies, Leslie Stowe's crisps, mint body wash & Manna bread!
F


Looking forward to festival season to start up in June... it's gonna be effin' crazy! And fireworks!
Miss Farmer, my new weekend roomie :) sleepovers, manicures, movies & ice cream!
I have yet to learn francais... Je vais continuer essayer...
K
I really like my kitchen - it's kind of a room of its own, with access to the balcony and filled with useful knick-knacks; it has a Vish-sized oven, too!
M
Marche Lobo: money well spent (on mounds of food - organics too!); with prices like that, it's gotta be a shady operation, right?
Mango had a 30% off sale! Speaking of mangoes... the city can't get enough of them!
Missing all my Vancouverites, of course.... :) Vous me manquez!
N
Noshing: one of Dani & Vish's favourite activities when they get together. (Melt that Fudge-O, Dani!)
R
Reader's Digest is going really well - I've been given a range of responsibilities that I like doing and am good at: research, reviewing/editing, writing copy, pitching articles, doing marketing tasks (ad layouts for example) and updating online content. So far, so good - and everyone is so nice!
S
Free shots at the sports bar for every time Burrows or Salo scored a goal!
Skyping with my Vancouverites makes me feel special :)
Summer hours at work means early Fridays!
Scrabble with Ben is not dead!
Tam tam on Sunday: picnicked and really got into it...so sweaty!
U
Early May: UVA rays, what!
& St. Urbain's wonderful Jewish bakeries - and downhill bike lane! :)
W
Walking to work is great! Sipping coffee, getting a bit of Vit D, right before the day starts :)
Also - On Saturday I realized that my apartment had no hot water; and I also realized that, you know you're in Montreal when your neighbours don't seem to care or mind all that much - apparently hot water is more of a luxury than a necessity? Well, I'm relieved to find that today (Monday), the faucet gave me what I needed and it sure is hot!
I haven't had a moment to even reflect on all that's happened in the last 2 weeks - however, now that I have a long weekend, I can get started (and hopefully finished).
To avoid this turning into a long Vish Ramble, I will also (in Vish-like manner) proceed with a list.
Alliteratively and alphabetically (feels so good).
I imagine this will give you all an idea of what my life in Montreal (mon-ray-all) has been like since I got here a couple of weeks ago :) Of course, there's parts missing, but I've tried to piece it together....
A
My Apartment is on Rue Aylmer - with ample room for all my stuff.
I've been drinking ample amounts of St. Ambroise amber ale on any given "patio day".
I have a balcony that overlooks a bad-ass beer can burial ground.
Bixi bikes are the best - and especially beneficial for booking it to Outremont for fresh babkas and bagels in the a.m. (My monthly Bixi pass was the first thing to arrive in the mail addressed to me!)
$2 chow mein on St. Laurent is not closed. Clearly, it's still conducive to late-night chomping - two doors down from the original location.
Crescent St.'s Sir Winston Churchill pub is cheaper than I remember it being. $2.50 for a mixed cocktail on Mondays?!
Dinner has become really delightful because I get to dream it up and make myself - simple or crazy, it's always delicious.
E
Evening runs and walks :)
Eden grocery has all the lovely specialties I encountered in Vancouver all in one spot: vegetable gyozas, Bengal spice tea, fortune cookies, Leslie Stowe's crisps, mint body wash & Manna bread!
F
Looking forward to festival season to start up in June... it's gonna be effin' crazy! And fireworks!
Miss Farmer, my new weekend roomie :) sleepovers, manicures, movies & ice cream!
I have yet to learn francais... Je vais continuer essayer...
G
Google has been a gigantic help in giving me tips on how to find things, clean things, cook things, and just generally, how to play house!
H
Google has been a gigantic help in giving me tips on how to find things, clean things, cook things, and just generally, how to play house!
H
My home was not hot enough (i.e. cold) so I used my hair dryer to keep my toes warm in the mornings.
H&M shopping and city "hike" with Dani for 6 hours in the heat.
Tim Horton's iced capps in the old city.
Tim Horton's iced capps in the old city.
I
Visited Little Italy, Dani's neighbourhood - the industrious Jean Talon market and its invigorating fruit samples are the bomb.
Visited Little Italy, Dani's neighbourhood - the industrious Jean Talon market and its invigorating fruit samples are the bomb.
K
| Cooking "instruction sheet" pull-out in my oven! And my red kitchen! |
I really like my kitchen - it's kind of a room of its own, with access to the balcony and filled with useful knick-knacks; it has a Vish-sized oven, too!
Mini kickoff pizza party at work on my first day at RD.
Went to The Keg with Ben before he left for the month; probably the last steak I'll be able to afford on my summer (party, concert) budget!
Went to The Keg with Ben before he left for the month; probably the last steak I'll be able to afford on my summer (party, concert) budget!
Ben and I went on a little adventure to St. Lambert where he'll be working at an e.s.L. camp!
Biking the Lachine canal and the St. Lawrence river.
Biking the Lachine canal and the St. Lawrence river.
The first day arriving at my apartment, it looked more than a little dark - but then Ben screwed in some more light bulbs... phew!
Oh-- AND! check out: Librissime bookstore.
Oh-- AND! check out: Librissime bookstore.
M
Marche Lobo: money well spent (on mounds of food - organics too!); with prices like that, it's gotta be a shady operation, right?
Mango had a 30% off sale! Speaking of mangoes... the city can't get enough of them!
Missing all my Vancouverites, of course.... :) Vous me manquez!
N
Noshing: one of Dani & Vish's favourite activities when they get together. (Melt that Fudge-O, Dani!)
R
Reader's Digest is going really well - I've been given a range of responsibilities that I like doing and am good at: research, reviewing/editing, writing copy, pitching articles, doing marketing tasks (ad layouts for example) and updating online content. So far, so good - and everyone is so nice!
S
| except no goal by Salo yet.... |
| and no win for Ben...(yet!) |
Free shots at the sports bar for every time Burrows or Salo scored a goal!
Skyping with my Vancouverites makes me feel special :)
Summer hours at work means early Fridays!
Scrabble with Ben is not dead!
Tam tam on Sunday: picnicked and really got into it...so sweaty!
U
Early May: UVA rays, what!
& St. Urbain's wonderful Jewish bakeries - and downhill bike lane! :)
V
Vishie likes this ville she's living in. A smart personal venture.
Restaurant signs, "apportez votre vin", means cheaper wine for just an uncorking fee!
Vishie likes this ville she's living in. A smart personal venture.
Restaurant signs, "apportez votre vin", means cheaper wine for just an uncorking fee!
W
| The park kiddy corner to my building. |
Also - On Saturday I realized that my apartment had no hot water; and I also realized that, you know you're in Montreal when your neighbours don't seem to care or mind all that much - apparently hot water is more of a luxury than a necessity? Well, I'm relieved to find that today (Monday), the faucet gave me what I needed and it sure is hot!
Z
Looking for Dani's place - on rue zygote was over zealous as it was really "rue Zotique".... woops.
Looking for Dani's place - on rue zygote was over zealous as it was really "rue Zotique".... woops.
Now I know my Ah - Bay - Says... Next time won't you chante avec maaayyy!!
<3 miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment