November 9, 2011
salad (n.)
This morning, on my third day of my bi-annual detox, I woke to find I was not particularly hungry. I started doing errands, multitasking (I'm good at it but I genuinely hate it), and then 1pm rolled around and I realized I hadn't eaten - anything.
I had finished a few hours of fact checking for Reader's Digest, caught up on my emails, and watched some Lana Del Ray song videos (it waaay too early in the morning to emote to Video Games, I admit). My stomach hadn't grumbled but I felt agitated a bit, so I coerced myself off of my couch and into the kitchen.
There, I decided to make what I dub, a breakfast salad.
As I happily peeled my apple and carrot, grated them into a bowl, then sprinkled flax seeds, raisins, and blueberries on top with a hint of lemon zest, I came to a realization (apart from that I had invented a recipe): My life's been kind of like a salad these days.
My preoccupation (or lack thereof on one too many days) with writing my thesis, has justified my adoption of a crazy number of activities to keep track of (and be too busy to write). I started with a solid bowl, and rather than filling it with something simple, like soup or yogurt, I've decided to cram in as many different ingredients in there as possible.
And it wasn't hard either.
Leading tutorials, grading projects, working, volunteering, consulting on projects, writing for hire, writing for free, writing with angst and frustration, keeping up with family responsibilities, friend responsibilities, girlfriend responsibilities, and self responsibilities, as well as trying to eat healthy, and look for jobs for the new year, was really easy to take on or say "yup" to. Now, at times, I have started to get a wee bit overwhelmed that maybe I'm just doing too much. That if my "life salad" were an artist's palette or a painting, it'd be a piling up of so many different colours that the whole darn thing just looks, well, brown.
But then I think about it in more positive terms and realize that if my "life salad" were actually a real salad, it'd be daaaamn scrumptious! (I'm just getting a little full, that's all.)
I guess, the only way out is to eat it all at once. Can't be picking out ingredients one by one
at this point!
Gonna go do some yoga and get hungry again and start chomping down!
I had finished a few hours of fact checking for Reader's Digest, caught up on my emails, and watched some Lana Del Ray song videos (it waaay too early in the morning to emote to Video Games, I admit). My stomach hadn't grumbled but I felt agitated a bit, so I coerced myself off of my couch and into the kitchen.
There, I decided to make what I dub, a breakfast salad.
As I happily peeled my apple and carrot, grated them into a bowl, then sprinkled flax seeds, raisins, and blueberries on top with a hint of lemon zest, I came to a realization (apart from that I had invented a recipe): My life's been kind of like a salad these days.
My preoccupation (or lack thereof on one too many days) with writing my thesis, has justified my adoption of a crazy number of activities to keep track of (and be too busy to write). I started with a solid bowl, and rather than filling it with something simple, like soup or yogurt, I've decided to cram in as many different ingredients in there as possible.
And it wasn't hard either.
Leading tutorials, grading projects, working, volunteering, consulting on projects, writing for hire, writing for free, writing with angst and frustration, keeping up with family responsibilities, friend responsibilities, girlfriend responsibilities, and self responsibilities, as well as trying to eat healthy, and look for jobs for the new year, was really easy to take on or say "yup" to. Now, at times, I have started to get a wee bit overwhelmed that maybe I'm just doing too much. That if my "life salad" were an artist's palette or a painting, it'd be a piling up of so many different colours that the whole darn thing just looks, well, brown.
But then I think about it in more positive terms and realize that if my "life salad" were actually a real salad, it'd be daaaamn scrumptious! (I'm just getting a little full, that's all.)
I guess, the only way out is to eat it all at once. Can't be picking out ingredients one by one
at this point!
Gonna go do some yoga and get hungry again and start chomping down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My life salad would consist of nothing but chocolate, marshmallows... and an inflatable mallet (don't know why, it'll just be in there).
ReplyDelete'Tis good to keep busy, but remember not to overdo it. We need a sane Vish, not bouncing-off-da-walls Vish (funny as that may be >.>)!
Hehe thanks Sonji! I'm hanging in there :) Thanks for checking my blog out. Hope you're well!
ReplyDelete