January 3, 2012
resolution (n.)
Yes, I'm going to post a blog post that's really lacking in spontaneity - it's that time of the year, and of course we're gonna talk about those lovely goals many of us set out at the start of every January, to help us 'turn over a new leaf', 'start the year off right', and all that lovely motivating gush.
But remember, we're celebrating the start of a new year, not the end of the last....
It's funny though, the notion of "resolutions" really just hit me while I was Photoshoping an image for a sponsorship package I've been designing for SFU LipDub (a certain pic was lacking resolution..and I wished it was in vector format like the logo I designed).
I thought it funny that the making of resolutions - of turning decisions or desires into actions - has a particular connection with clarity, sharpness, flexibility, and vision. It got me thinking about how the new year's resolutions we make and their potential to empower and actually improve our lives have a lot to do with how clearly and realistically we look at both the past and the future.
We have to look closer as well as step away from the past to get a sense of what we want to envision for ourselves for, let's say, the next year.
We have to set the right resolution to get a good overall end result, I guess. It's like working in vectors, which enables an image to flex in response to changes, rather than working in pixels, which can make the whole thing fall apart under pressure.
So, in the spirit of this dorky denotative connection I've made, I've decided to create a list of resolutions that reflects a vision for the new year that's possible, challenging, and motivating. My list this year inspires me to actually stick to it the entire year rather than give up the moment my bouts of (January) inspirations leave me. One part of it is that my list is specific. I think this helps in actually making things happen - so rather than saying stuff like "get fit" or "save money", it's better to say "do yoga 3 times a week", or "save $1000 so I can go to ___".... See what I mean?
I've created a list of goals, which work together as a whole and set a pace that I can keep up with the entire year. Instead of pushing for an overly ambitious, post-party/champagne-induced list of 10-15 resolutions, (which, if individually abandoned, really help dismantle the whole thing), I've resolved to try for only three goals this year. And it's been tough to choose - but I think the added effort in choosing wisely (like using Illustrator this year for the first time!) will pay off in the long run - and help me not lose the resolution even if my goal appears to be a bit of a stretch.. (gosh, I'm a pun-freak.)
My list is comprised of:
And there's no need to post my list here. To keep it somewhat unique, my cookie-cutter new year's resolutions entry will not have any resolutions in it :)
And of course, just because I've made a short list doesn't mean I can't do other things to better myself and those around me in the new year. I make a habit of making goals throughout the year (I admit, I'm a bit of an OCD list-lover) - The start of a new year is as good a time as any.
And with that, I bid everyone a very happy and healthy New Year. Good luck on your resolutions, your visions, and if things seem a little fuzzy, step a little farther away from the picture and I'm sure it'll appear more clear.
But remember, we're celebrating the start of a new year, not the end of the last....
It's funny though, the notion of "resolutions" really just hit me while I was Photoshoping an image for a sponsorship package I've been designing for SFU LipDub (a certain pic was lacking resolution..and I wished it was in vector format like the logo I designed).
We have to look closer as well as step away from the past to get a sense of what we want to envision for ourselves for, let's say, the next year.
We have to set the right resolution to get a good overall end result, I guess. It's like working in vectors, which enables an image to flex in response to changes, rather than working in pixels, which can make the whole thing fall apart under pressure.
So, in the spirit of this dorky denotative connection I've made, I've decided to create a list of resolutions that reflects a vision for the new year that's possible, challenging, and motivating. My list this year inspires me to actually stick to it the entire year rather than give up the moment my bouts of (January) inspirations leave me. One part of it is that my list is specific. I think this helps in actually making things happen - so rather than saying stuff like "get fit" or "save money", it's better to say "do yoga 3 times a week", or "save $1000 so I can go to ___".... See what I mean?
I've created a list of goals, which work together as a whole and set a pace that I can keep up with the entire year. Instead of pushing for an overly ambitious, post-party/champagne-induced list of 10-15 resolutions, (which, if individually abandoned, really help dismantle the whole thing), I've resolved to try for only three goals this year. And it's been tough to choose - but I think the added effort in choosing wisely (like using Illustrator this year for the first time!) will pay off in the long run - and help me not lose the resolution even if my goal appears to be a bit of a stretch.. (gosh, I'm a pun-freak.)
My list is comprised of:
- one goal I'd like to continue doing (as a reminder that I've done - and can continue to do - something I'm proud of);
- one thing I'd like to improve (as it lets me start with something tangible, to motivate me); and
- one new thing I'd like to begin or take on (as a challenge, however great, which the other two help fuel).
And of course, just because I've made a short list doesn't mean I can't do other things to better myself and those around me in the new year. I make a habit of making goals throughout the year (I admit, I'm a bit of an OCD list-lover) - The start of a new year is as good a time as any.
And with that, I bid everyone a very happy and healthy New Year. Good luck on your resolutions, your visions, and if things seem a little fuzzy, step a little farther away from the picture and I'm sure it'll appear more clear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment