August 28, 2011
climactic (adj.)
Ah, a word to conclude MML and my summer here with. And it sure is poignant. As I sit here on my couch, Hurricane Irene is having her way with NY. I don't have a TV so I haven't been following the to-the-minute current state of affairs, though I must say that Montreal is definitely feeling the storm so it must be pretty bad. Hope it's not as bad as I think it is...
My trip to the bank and lunch at Chez Jorge with my mom this morning started out dry; we felt a few drops but delusional, thought little of it. To no surprise, we went home dawdling and skittering around puddles and street rivers, getting soaked until it just didn't matter anymore. I threw our poor mangled umbrella out into the alley as I ran for cover into my building and then proceeded to dig through my suitcases for the hair dryer. Since then, I've been sitting here drinking tea, watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, and listening to the messy climate outside. I'm also thus feeling inspired by Larry David, so I'm taking this moment to plug some vanity and self-importance into this post and express how utterly climactic this crazy ass storm is for me.
Though it would seem that this is a sort of denouement to my Quebec life (seeing I'm well, leaving and all,) it sure is an interesting way to say goodbye to sunny festive Montreal.
I've packed all my things, cleaned out the fridge, did the last load of laundry, and now I'm sitting.. waiting.. listening..to the windy chaos outside. The tree (raccoon ladder) is swaying back and forth at a disconcerting angle, its leaves are being ripped out from its branches and I can't help but think what my neighbourly squirrel is up to in this mess (he didn't visit today).
I somehow feel a very profound silence in my apartment despite all of this noise, though. Through all the gusts of wind and rain that I can hear outside (is that an ambulance siren, too?), I hear this resounding heartbeat, undulating, turning what really is a very normal day, into an epic phenomenon.
The (my) apartment is bare like a hotel room, though it still feels like home. And I'm kinda happy to admit that the storm outside is making this goodbye easier to bare. Who would've guessed I'd be saying, "Goodbye wet Montreal and helllooooo sunny Vancouver!" so soon?
It's been a good one, Montreal. I know this blog hasn't really given a rich description of how full of life my, well, life has been; regardless, I figure this is the time to really state that fact. Thanking my lucky stars all went well, nothing cooky or annoying happened- pending of course that my plane can take off tonight in this climate.
Toodle doo, I guess. Till next time!
My trip to the bank and lunch at Chez Jorge with my mom this morning started out dry; we felt a few drops but delusional, thought little of it. To no surprise, we went home dawdling and skittering around puddles and street rivers, getting soaked until it just didn't matter anymore. I threw our poor mangled umbrella out into the alley as I ran for cover into my building and then proceeded to dig through my suitcases for the hair dryer. Since then, I've been sitting here drinking tea, watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, and listening to the messy climate outside. I'm also thus feeling inspired by Larry David, so I'm taking this moment to plug some vanity and self-importance into this post and express how utterly climactic this crazy ass storm is for me.
Though it would seem that this is a sort of denouement to my Quebec life (seeing I'm well, leaving and all,) it sure is an interesting way to say goodbye to sunny festive Montreal.
| It's waaay worse than it looks. |
I somehow feel a very profound silence in my apartment despite all of this noise, though. Through all the gusts of wind and rain that I can hear outside (is that an ambulance siren, too?), I hear this resounding heartbeat, undulating, turning what really is a very normal day, into an epic phenomenon.
The (my) apartment is bare like a hotel room, though it still feels like home. And I'm kinda happy to admit that the storm outside is making this goodbye easier to bare. Who would've guessed I'd be saying, "Goodbye wet Montreal and helllooooo sunny Vancouver!" so soon?
It's been a good one, Montreal. I know this blog hasn't really given a rich description of how full of life my, well, life has been; regardless, I figure this is the time to really state that fact. Thanking my lucky stars all went well, nothing cooky or annoying happened- pending of course that my plane can take off tonight in this climate.
Toodle doo, I guess. Till next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment