March 3, 2011
goal (n.)
Having begun a yoga challenge two days ago (I know, inspiration comes fast!), it's made me reflect on other ways I've challenged myself this year.
I've always been a lover of lists, as most people who know me personally know. I write 'to do' lists all the time, especially before bedtime when I feel I need to get it all out of my head so I can truly unwind and have a good night's sleep. At the risk of sounding really OCD, I'll divulge: I'll place anything from important things like "meeting with x at y:yy pm" to trivialities I can't imagine I'd forget to do (like "shower" and "watch The Office). Ha. But, to each their own, and for me it works.
Though seemingly a bad thing, I sometimes remind myself of Hugh Grant's character, Will, in About a Boy, who compartmentalizes his life into units. Except, unlike Will, it all does mean a lot, and making my lists, though not endowed with meaning themselves, help me appreciate the great things I get to do in my life every day, which make me feel and be a better, more capable person.
I also have 'wish lists' (really, shopping lists), which come in handy because they help me "keep track" (yuck) of how I can reward myself when I feel I've come to deserve it. I also prefer "wish" over "shopping" because they're things I'd like to have one day, and not things I must purchase on an errand day. It reminds me I can do without but that I also deserve sometimes to do with.
I also have 'pros and cons' lists, which I'll jot down every now and then to help me make a decision. If I'm feeling ungrateful or a but murky or overwhelmed, I'll also turn these pros and cons into those relating to my life in order to give me some perspective.
But, all in all, the most important list is probably one I've never given physical presence: a list of goals, however big or small, that shape what I'd like to do with my life.
This brings me to "goal" - my word, today (notice it's not "list"). I particularily like it because it has the word go in it. It's active, motivating, conscious, and present. It's about time I gave it form.
This list is not one to just be casually jotted down with a bunch of boxes next to each point. It's of course subject to change, but I need to think about it a little (or a lot more).
Stay tuned.
| "My life is made up of units of time. Buying CDs - two units. Eating lunch - three units. Exercising - two units. All in all, I had a very full life...." |
| I am not an island! And I will never hold a baby like this! |
Though seemingly a bad thing, I sometimes remind myself of Hugh Grant's character, Will, in About a Boy, who compartmentalizes his life into units. Except, unlike Will, it all does mean a lot, and making my lists, though not endowed with meaning themselves, help me appreciate the great things I get to do in my life every day, which make me feel and be a better, more capable person.
I also have 'wish lists' (really, shopping lists), which come in handy because they help me "keep track" (yuck) of how I can reward myself when I feel I've come to deserve it. I also prefer "wish" over "shopping" because they're things I'd like to have one day, and not things I must purchase on an errand day. It reminds me I can do without but that I also deserve sometimes to do with.
I also have 'pros and cons' lists, which I'll jot down every now and then to help me make a decision. If I'm feeling ungrateful or a but murky or overwhelmed, I'll also turn these pros and cons into those relating to my life in order to give me some perspective.
But, all in all, the most important list is probably one I've never given physical presence: a list of goals, however big or small, that shape what I'd like to do with my life.
This brings me to "goal" - my word, today (notice it's not "list"). I particularily like it because it has the word go in it. It's active, motivating, conscious, and present. It's about time I gave it form.
This list is not one to just be casually jotted down with a bunch of boxes next to each point. It's of course subject to change, but I need to think about it a little (or a lot more).
Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment